Salut à Toi/en
New website ! Come on http://salut-a-toi.org
Salut à Toi (or SàT for "Hi to You"), is a XMPP/Jabber client, which can have several frontends, i.e. several user interfaces.
You can download the last version here: ftp://ftp.goffi.org/sat/sat.taz.bz2
If you want an older version, you can have it at: ftp://ftp.goffi.org/sat/
Source code is also available on the mercurial repository: http://repos.goffi.org/sat/
You can clone the hg repository:
hg clone http://repos.goffi.org/sat/
You can automatically install SàT and his dependencies using easy_install or pip. You will however need to install Python's headers (needed to build some packages), WxPython which is available in most Gnu/Linux distributions, PyGObject and developments version of libxml2 and libxslt (to compile lxml python library).
The environment variable SAT_INSTALL customises the installation, it contains flags separated by spaces:
- "nopreinstall" skip all preinstallation checks
- "autodeb" automatically install missing packages on Debian based distributions
- "nox" disable installation of X based packages (WxWidgets), this is useful for servers
WxPython and PyGobject are automatically installed on Debian based distributions if "autodeb" option is set. Indeed, on Debian based distribution, you can type (with the root account):
apt-get install python-pip python-dev libxml2-dev libxslt-dev SAT_INSTALL=autodeb pip install .
On a *buntu, same commands with sudo:
sudo apt-get install python-pip python-dev libxml2-dev libxslt-dev SAT_INSTALL=autodeb sudo pip install .
After installing SàT, you need to install the media:
mkdir -p ~/sat/media/destination/path cd ~/sat/media/destination/path wget ftp://ftp.goffi.org/sat_media/sat_media.tar.bz2 tar -jxvf sat_media.tar.bz2
then, create a ~/.sat.conf file which contains:
Of course, replace ~/sat/media/destination/path with the actual path you want to use.
You can also install the last development version following the same instructions than for the last release, but installing from the mercurial repository instead of using the release archive. Just replace:
SAT_INSTALL=autodeb pip install .
SAT_INSTALL=autodeb pip install "hg+http://repos.goffi.org/sat/"
SAT_INSTALL=autodeb sudo pip install .
SAT_INSTALL=autodeb sudo pip install "hg+http://repos.goffi.org/sat/"
wget ftp://ftp.goffi.org/sat_media/sat_media.tar.bz2 tar -jxvf sat_media.tar.bz2
hg clone http://repos.goffi.org/sat_media
To launch the sat backend, enter:
You can stop it with:
So far, the following frontends exist:
- Wix: desktop graphical interface, the kind of interface you use with traditional instant messaging softwares. Wix use WxWidgets
- Primitivus: a command line interface, based on Urwid
- jp: the command line tool
- Libervia: the web frontend
Another frontend based on Qt and named Bellacio is in development and aims to replace Wix. So Wix is still maintained but is not subject to any improvement. A frontend for small screen devices is also planned.
To launch Wix or Primitivus, just type the frontend's name:
then create a profile (XMPP account must already exist). To use jp, follow its help:
For Libervia, the web interface, check http://wiki.goffi.org/wiki/Libervia/en
SàT not only focuses on instant messages: XMPP has a huge potential, and other applications are considered. For example, a French Tarot game is already available. SàT uses a plugin system and allow to display an interface on the various frontends. The Tarot game works in the Wix's graphical display, in the Primitivus's terminal display and in Libervia's web interface - the players of a same game can use the frontend of their choice.
Here is a list of main SàT features, click on them to go to the wiki page.
- Desktop interface, a classical frontend
- Libervia/en Web interface usable from any web browser
- Console interface, light and powerful
- Command line tool, useful to script
- Instant messaging
- Rich text and WYSIWYG editor
- Micro-blogging with a static webpage/feed generated from your public posts
- Ad-Hoc commands, i.e. to use SàT as a remote control for your applications
- Pipe a command output or send a file to one of your contact
- Using an email client (MUA) to send/receive messages
- French Tarot game, collective radio...
Developpers can have a look at the development page.